- Three years of Modi sarkar: PM’s most ambitious bet for a less-cash economy has to be Aadhaar Pay: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/58688875.cms
Aadhaar-enabled payment system (AEPS) witnessed a threefold jump in transactions after the demonetisation move in November and its push for digitisation. It has now scaled up to 100,000 interbank transactions daily and 2 million intra-bank transactions a day… To incentivise merchants to adopt Aadhaar Pay, the government has built a zero MDR (merchant discount rate) regime around it, which means that merchants and customers transacting through it will not have to pay any additional fee.
- Aadhaar-PAN linkage gets public support, but concerns on data leaks and misuse remain: http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/aadhaar-pan-linkage-gets-public-support-but-concerns-on-data-leaks-and-misuse-remain-376117.html
Out of 9,847 respondents, 70 per cent backed the government’s move to link Aadhaar with the permanent account number (PAN) in its bid to increase the compliance level.
- The biggest privacy risk is your smartphone: Nandan Nilekani: http://www.livemint.com/Companies/uqfbdvlddwsaqDnFMTaqmM/The-biggest-privacy-risk-is-your-smartphone-Nandan-Nilekani.html
“This notion that Aadhaar is an instrument of mass surveillance. It’s complete nonsense. Your smartphone is a much better tool for the government to do surveillance than Aadhaar. Because Aadhaar by nature is episodic… We need an overall data-protection and privacy law which covers everything, including foreign companies collecting data in India, drones, Internet of Things, smartphones, etc.”
- Swaminomics: Aadhaar privacy concerns are childish when all your key data is already out in the open: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/58560199.cms
Immigration officials in dozens of countries routinely take your fingerprints… passengers do not mind since this obviously helps track undesirables… India needs a Privacy Act, not just to check excesses in government snooping but to guard against private snooping. When civil rights are being breached massively by undesirable private actors of all sorts, to focus on government misuse alone — as activists are doing — is myopic
- T K Arun: Argue for a privacy law, not against Aadhaar: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/58553696.cms
Aadhaar … is useful for efficient administration and dispensing of government services. It saves the government huge amounts of money, which is not an insignificant detail in our developing country. … Once Aadhaar comes with stringent, verifiable regulation of how the data obtained for it is used, its benefits would outweigh its harm. That is the way to go about it.
- UIDAI chief: No one can build Aadhaar users’ profile: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/no-one-can-build-aadhaar-users-profile-uidai-chief/articleshow/58556043.cms
Aadhaar enrolment collects minimal data that is name, address, date of birth, gender and biometrics. We don’t ask income, religion, profession, caste. etc. The principles also ensure no agency — UIDAI, government or for that matter any department or agency is able to track and profile any individual.
- Aadhaar is completely secure; UIDAI chairman J Satyanarayana explains why: http://www.financialexpress.com/economy/aadhaar-is-completely-secure-uidai-chairman-j-satyanarayana-explains-why/668447/
The moot point is that Aadhaar isn’t connected to the internet…. UIDAI servers are not on the internet. There is a wall separating them from the SAs and infrastructure of UIDAI. It is a physical demarcation. Hence, the question of data breach and security issue doesn’t arise at all.
- Affordable Indus OS-powered Aadhaar-enabled smartphones with Delta ID Iris sensor coming soon to India: http://www.ibtimes.co.in/affordable-indus-os-powered-aadhaar-enabled-smartphones-iris-sensor-coming-soon-india-725875
Indus OS in collaboration with Delta ID and mobile vendors plan to bring affordable Aadhaar-enabled smartphones with Iris scanner technology by the end of June.
- R Sukumar: If used well (and widely), Aadhaar could simplify life and transactions: http://www.hindustantimes.com/columns/if-used-well-and-widely-aadhaar-could-simplify-life-and-transactions/story-8jSgYApgmbCkA8ZgzyqCXJ.html
If used well (and widely), Aadhaar could simplify life and transactions, and also ensure that the government’s welfare schemes are better-targeted and more efficient. It could be the answer to various problems faced by hundreds of millions of Indians who desperately want to be on the grid – not off it.
- UIDAI CEO asks state agencies not to put data on websites: http://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/current-affairs/160517/centre-alerts-states-on-aadhaar-data.html
UIDAI CEO Ajay Bhushan Pandey said that state governments must sensitise all departments, organisations in the state using Aadhaar … about their responsibility to protect personal data of beneficiaries, and remove any such personal data from the public domain.
- UGC: Do not publish or display Aadhaar number publicly: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolhapur/do-not-publish-or-display-aadhaar-number-publicly-says-ugc/articleshow/58650832.cms
Secretary, UGC said that The Aadhaar Act, 2016 prohibits publishing and displaying the Aadhaar number publicly. Therefore you are requested not to publish or display the Aadhaar number of the scholars publicly.
- Punjab government directs its officers not to share Aadhaar info: http://www.hindustantimes.com/punjab/punjab-government-directs-its-officers-not-to-share-aadhaar-info/story-agNEtCjpM0akkeU0m0F7nO.html
The Punjab government has warned its officers and departments against sharing or publishing Aadhaar number and demographic details of people either online or in offline mode.
- With digitisation at the forefront, government departments need to be cautious about digital security: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/58504211.cms
Government officials have to balance transparency and citizen confidentiality. It is a thin line. (But) the gap in understanding what is ‘private information’ and what is ‘public information’ is huge.
- Union Minister: Linking Aadhaar to ration cards helped govt save Rs 14,000 cr: http://www.firstpost.com/business/linking-aadhaar-to-ration-cards-helped-govt-save-rs-14000-cr-claims-ram-vilas-paswan-3425014.html
“Eighteen crore ration cards have been linked to Aadhaar cards in the country. This has resulted in savings of Rs 14,000 crore due to weeding out of bogus ration cards,” the Food Minister said at the India Integrated Transport & Logistics Summit 2017 here.
- Govt defends decision to link PAN with Aadhaar in Supreme Court: http://www.livemint.com/Politics/k5RPTacEjeUEyLPidgIvtO/Govt-defends-decision-to-link-PAN-with-Aadhaar-in-Supreme-Co.html
Attorney general Mukul Rohatgi defended Aadhaar on Tuesday, saying a biometric identification system was an essential feature of contemporary society, and dismissed privacy concerns surrounding the unique ID number.
- Housing to seeding Aadhaar: Check out EPFO’s customer-friendly initiatives: http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/housing-to-seeding-aadhaar-check-out-epfo-s-customer-friendly-initiatives-117050100792_1.html
If you seed your Aadhaar number and bank account details into the EPFO system, you will be able to avail yourself of a number of online services.
- Govt may have made 135 million Aadhaar numbers public: CIS report: http://www.livemint.com/Politics/oj7ky556p6vdljXpRw8gPP/135-million-Aadhaar-numbers-made-public-by-government-author.html
CIS report says Aadhaar numbers leaked through government databases could be 100-135 million and bank accounts numbers leaked about 100 million
- Centre Prohibits UGC From Displaying PhD Scholars Aadhar Data: http://www.ndtv.com/education/centre-prohibits-ugc-from-displaying-phd-scholars-aadhar-data-1688376
The Centre today revoked an order issued by the UGC asking universities to make Aadhar details of PhD scholars public, saying publishing and displaying the unique identification number is prohibited.
- Supreme Court’s poser to MPs: Why didn’t you object to making Aadhaar mandatory for PAN: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/58383038.cms
The Supreme Court has said there was nothing prima facie wrong with the Modi government’s insistence on linking Permanent Account Number (PAN) of citizens with their Aadhaar numbers to check the endemic problem of tax evasion.
- Aadhaar-PAN linkage meant to plug tax leaks, says SC: http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tax-evasions-necessitate-new-laws-sc-on-aadhaar-pan-linkage/article18224295.ece
We as citizens are like that… we don’t want to pay taxes, shame on us: Justice Sikri
- Now, Aadhaar and mobile phones to make air travel a paperless affair: http://www.livemint.com/Politics/QT8x3JYUEvIv1JYVch87PP/Now-Aadhaar-and-mobile-phones-to-make-air-travel-a-paperles.html
Under the ‘digi yatra’ initiative, the civil aviation ministry is looking to make boarding pass and security check-ins digital at airports using Aadhaar and mobile phones
- Aadhaar Act has strong privacy provisions, says Niti Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/aadhaar-act-has-strong-privacy-provisions-says-niti-aayog-ceo-amitabh-kant/articleshow/58282236.cms
“The Aadhaar Act has strong privacy provisions. I am a great believer in privacy of data,” the Niti Aayog CEO said while replying to a query at the Hero Mindmine Summit here.
- PM Narendra Modi launches BHIM-Aadhaar platform to push digital payments: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/58178705.cms
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the BHIM-Aadhaar platform, putting in place yet another keystone of a digital payment system that will help India make the shift to a less-cash economy. The biometric-based indigenous payment solution will enable real-time bank-tobank money transfers even for those without a phone and at no additional cost. “This app can work even on a Rs 1,000-1,500 phone, you don’t need a smartphone. If you don’t have a phone you can use your thumb,” he said.
- UIDAI cracks down on 1000 operators in 3 months for malpractices: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/58091456.cms
“We have filed FIRs against 20 persons,” Pandey said, hoping that the action by the UIDAI would be a deterrent for others trying to overcharge or not following proper processes.
- UIDAI can detect, repel security breaches in Aadhaar: CEO Ajay Bhushan Pandey: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/economy/uidai-can-detect-repel-security-breaches-in-aadhaar-ceo-ajay-bhushan-pandey-2253477.html
Refuting allegations questioning the data’s security, Ajay Bhushan Pandey, UIDAI CEO said that the data with UIDAI is fully safe and secure
- Government depts, states ordered to ensure Aadhaar privacy: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/57960230.cms
Any act of publishing personal identity or information such as Aadhaar number and demographic details, along with personal sensitive information such as bank details, is in contravention of the Aadhaar Act, 2016, and the Information Technology Act, 2000, and is disallowed with immediate effect… such content already published and still appearing publicly should be discontinued with immediate effect.
- No poor will be deprived by making Aadhaar mandatory: Govt: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/trends/current-affairs-trends/no-poor-will-be-deprived-by-making-aadhaar-mandatory-govt-2256225.html
“I want to make it very clear on the behalf of the government that no poor shall be denied his subsidy rights at all. Be very clear about that. Whether it is, a mid day meal or any other benefit, we have said that you come on Aadhaar but no denial will be there,” Minister of IT and Law Ravi Shankar Prasad assured the House.